Entries Close : Sunday 29th March 2020
Provisional GPX File : River Aire Ultra 2020 V1
Starting in the centre of Leeds, this event heads out along the Leeds/Liverpool Canal and River Aire, taking in the stunning scenery en route to source of the River Aire at the beautiful Malham Tarn.
This is a standalone race and not part of the Punk Panther Race Series
Cost: £65 (£50 before 1/1/20)
You may hire a tracker for use during this event at an additional cost of £15 (please note this is not compulsory) and you will be tracked live on the internet. This will allow, friends, family and support to see your progress and if you get lost you can phone the race director who will help you get back on course!
Start: 8.30am (registration from 7.30am)
Event Closes: 10pm
Distance: 47 miles/76 Km
Climb: 1100 metres (3700ft)
ITRA Points: 2
Maximum Entrants: 200
Checkpoints: Each checkpoint will have water, coke, fruit, jelly babies, peanuts, Jaffa cakes, flapjacks , CP5 will also have savouries.
- Checkpoint 1: Apperley Bridge (8.5 miles)
- Checkpoint 2: Hirst Wood (15 miles)
- Checkpoint 3: Thwaites Brow (21.5 miles)
- Checkpoint 4: Glusburn (28 miles)
- Checkpoint 5: Skipton (35 miles)
- Checkpoint 6 : Airton (41.5 miles)
Finish: Malham Tarn Activity Centre (The actual end of the Aire River Trail is the Car Park at Malham Tarn)
Every finisher receives a medal, A Welcome Ultra Tech T-Shirt and Certificate as well as a hot meal at the finish. Event finishing positions are in order of distance completed then time taken.
A zip file of the GPX files of the exact route is available from the event page on the website Alternatively it is available from the files section of the Facebook Group Page. The file is provisional and will be confirmed as soon as entries close.
Final Competitor instructions will be emailed to all competitors as shortly after entries close.
You are expected to carry the following at all times during the race. Failure to do so may result in time penalties or disqualification, at the discretion of the Race Director whose decision is final.
- Drinking Cup (we do not provide plastic cups at checkpoints)
- 500 ml water/energy drink
- Energy Bar/Nutrition
- Head Torch
- Waterproof jacket with taped seams
- Emergency blanket
- Hard copy of the Map/Route description (see website for details)
- Mobile phone (with the race directors number – 07950 008005 stored in it in case of emergencies). When registering you will need to leave you mobile number in case of emergencies, so please leave your phone switched on.
This is the standard kit for all races, but please check the website for the specific race in case there are any special requirements due to the weather etc.
- Event T-Shirt for all entrants that report to the Finish.
- Finishers Medal for those that complete the course.
- Certificate for everyone that completes the course.
- Race is registered with ITRA/UTMB with 2 points.
- No support runners allowed that have not entered (exception guide runners and safety support runners when dark – A safety support runner may not carry your kit)
- No deviation of more than 500 metres from the route (this will be checked on trackers) if you go off track by mistake you must return to where you left it, otherwise you with risk a time penalty or disqualification at the Race Director’s discretion.
- You can get supplies (not kit) on route either from shops/pubs/friends/relatives. But make sure your support watch you on the trackers and don’t wait for longer than necessary blocking narrow Dales roads.
- Support is permissible at some checkpoints – please check.
- A .GPX file will be available upon request, once entries are open.
- Drop bag must be no bigger than a carrier bag. Finish bag no bigger than a medium rucksack (unless left by you at the finish).
- Please be aware that checkpoints are approximately 9-12 miles apart and some of the route is over remote Dales, so please ensure you carry enough fluids and food to get you to the next checkpoint.
- Close all gates and leave no litter.
- If you arrive at a checkpoint after the cut-off your number and tracker will be removed and you will be retired from the event.
- If you have to retire and arrange your own transport you will still need to report to a checkpoint or the finish to return your tracker.
- Failure to return tracker by the close of the event will incur a £2.50 daily charge until returned; if lost the fee is £150.
- Punk Panther Ultra Marathons have public liability insurance, but not individual accident insurance. Entry is at competitors own risk and Punk Panther Ultra Marathons will not be held liable for any injuries incurred during or as a result of the event. All competitors agree to this as a condition of entry via a disclaimer when signing up for the event. You are recommended to take out your own personal insurance if you require it.
- You will be asked to complete a self-declaration medical questionnaire prior to the event to help assist the Race Director and event medical team, and any other medical professional that may be involved in your care should it be required. This information will be destroyed after the event has concluded.
- Please respect and abide by The Countryside Code