The Dales Way Challenge – Saturday 17th August 2019
An 82 mile Ultramarathon to celebrate 50 years of The Dales Way. Entries will open on 31st August 2018
- Endorsed by The Dales Way Association. http://www.dalesway.org/
- The Dales Way creator Colin Speakman will be in attendance.
- 36 hours to complete the 82 Mile Course.
- 7 fully stocked checkpoints.
- First Aid cover by Exile Medics. https://exile-medics.com/
- Entry fee includes hire of a GPS tracker for each entrant.
- Start in Bowness-on-Windermere and finish in Ilkley.
- Special Bus service available from Ilkley on Saturday morning to the start (not included in entry but will be no more than £10 per person).
- Hot meal at the finish.
- Drop bag service to CP5 and finish (must be self-labelled).
- Entry fee includes £10 donations to both the Dales Way Association for upkeep of the route and also to Dales Way Buses who provide a vital service to allow people without cars to access the Dales.
- Event T-Shirt for all entrants that report to the Finish.
- Finishers Medal for those that complete the course.
- Certificate for everyone that completes the course.
- For those around during the daytime there will be a Dales Way 50th Anniversary Exhibition in Ilkley.
- Race is registered with ITRA/UTMB with 4 points.
Compulsory Kit List. (A kit check will be carried out at a random checkpoint and you will be asked to produce one of the following, if you are found not to have it on you, you will be disqualified).
- Waterproof Jacket with taped seams.
- Map of route (or guide book available from https://www.skyware.co.uk/).
- Head Torch.
- 1 Litre of fluids (2 recommended)
- PLASTIC CUP – or something to drink from.
- Energy Bar/Nutrition.
- Survival Blanket.
- Mobile phone with race directors number (079500008005) stored in it.
- Personal First Aid Kit.
Cost £125. Entries close 31stJuly 2019 or when list is full.
start : 8.30am from Bowness on Windermere
- No support runners allowed that have not entered (exception guide runners)
- No deviation of more than 500 metres from the route (this will be checked on trackers) if you go off track by mistake you must return to where you left it, otherwise you with risk a time penalty or disqualification at the Race Director’s discretion.
- You can get supplies on route either from shops/pubs/friends/relatives. But make sure your support watch you on the trackers and don’t wait for longer than necessary blocking narrow Dales roads.
- Support may be permissible at some checkpoints but check on final instructions.
- A .GPX file will be available upon request, once entries are open.
- Drop bag must be no bigger than a carrier bag. Finish bag no bigger than a rucksack (unless left by you at the finish).
- Please be aware that checkpoints are approximately 9-12 miles apart and some of the route is over remote Dales, so please ensure you carry enough fluids and food to get you to the next checkpoint.
- Close all gates and leave no litter.
- If you arrive at a checkpoint after the cut-off your number and tracker will be removed and you will be retired from the event.
- If you have to retire and arrange your own transport you will still need to report to a checkpoint or the finish to return your tracker.
- Failure to return tracker by the close of event will incur a £2.50 daily charge until returned, if lost the fee is £150.
- Punk Panther Ultra Marathons have public liability insurance, but not individual accident insurance. Entry is at competitors own risk and Punk Panther Ultra Marathons will not be held liable for any injuries incurred during or as a result of the event. All competitors agree to this as a condition of entry via a disclaimer when signing up for the event. You are recommended to take out your own personal insurance if you require it.
- You will be asked to complete a self-declaration medical questionnaire prior to the event to help assist the Race Director and event medical team, and any other medical professional that may be involved in your care should it be required. This information will be destroyed after the event has concluded.
CP1 Burneside 9.6miles
CP2 Beckfoot Roadside Checkpoint 18.5 miles *** NO SUPPORT VEHICLES/SPECTATORS PERMITTED ***
CP3 Dent Memorial Hall 30 miles
CP4 Gearstones Cottage 40 miles (Drop Bag) *** NO SUPPORT VEHICLES/SPECTATORS PERMITTED ***
CP5 Buckden 52 miles
CP6 Grassington 63 miles
CP7 Bolton Abbey 73 miles